Node Locked Licenses
A Node-Locked license is a variant of the floating license that allows multiple people to use Understand on a single specific machine. Node Locked licenses are most often used in secured lab environments since there is no license server that needs to be setup and no internet access needed.
- First a floating license needs to be purchased.
- Next, download and install Understand on the machine where it will reside. If needed the installer can be downloaded elsewhere and burned to a disk or USB drive. If you are running an older version of Understand let us know since it may require a different license.
- Open a Command prompt and run the command scitools/bin/<OS>/almhostid to generate the unique identifier of that machine.
It will be in the form: XXXXXXXX-2/Machine-Name
- Send that information to email@example.com and let them know you would like a node-locked license instead of a traditional floating license
- We will send you a file named locallicense.dat, place that file in to the scitools/conf/license/ folder and on MacOSX place the file in the Users directory here: ~/Library/Application Support/SciTools/license/ (the license directory will need to be created). It is a text file, so if necessary, the file can be manually typed into the target machine.
- Launch Understand. The license should be instantly recognized and you should have full functionality. If there are any problems, contact support and we’ll get you up and running ASAP!